Are you a classically trained violinist aged 14 to 17 residing in North Texas and performing at an advanced level on your instrument? Then apply to our Youth Masterclasses and don’t miss the opportunity to learn one-on-one from our competition jurors and visiting faculty.
Youth masterclasses for violin are educational sessions designed for talented young violinists who are still developing their skills. These classes are taught by our competition jurors or other visiting faculty, who offer guidance and instruction to help students improve their playing abilities.
During the masterclass, each student performs a solo piece of their choosing in front of the instructor and the other students. The instructor then provides feedback, suggestions, and advice to help the student improve their performance. This feedback can range from technical aspects such as bowing technique and intonation, to musical elements such as phrasing and expression.
Youth masterclasses for violin are an excellent opportunity for young musicians to learn from experienced professionals and to get feedback on their playing. They are also a chance for young musicians to meet and network with other students who share their passion for the violin. Overall, youth masterclasses for violin can be an enriching and rewarding experience for any young musician looking to improve their skills and develop their musical abilities. Participants are also encouraged to observe the live competition rounds, which run concurrently with the masterclasses.
- Participants must be aged 14 to 17 (inclusive)
- Participants must be residing in North Texas (DFW and surrounding areas)
- Perform a program, 5-10 minutes in length, including one to two pieces of your choice, written for accompanied or unaccompanied solo violin. Movements of larger works, such as a concerto or sonata, are allowed.
- Selected participants performing an accompanied work must make arrangements to have a piano accompanist during the masterclass.
- Performance from memory is strongly encouraged, but not required.
Application Deadline: June 1, 2023 at 11:59 pm
Participants selected by audition will be assigned to one of the festival’s three masterclasses. Participants will be allotted 30 minutes during which to perform their program, and then work one-on-one with their masterclass instructor.
Applicants agree to be available regardless of the masterclass and faculty member to which they are assigned by festival staff. Masterclasses will be held at the Arlington ISD Center for the Visual and Performing Arts.
- Masterclass 1 on Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 3:00pm-5:00pm
- Masterclass 2 on Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 7:00pm-9:00pm
- Masterclass 3 on Friday, June 16, 2023 at 7:00pm-9:00pm
To apply, submit the following via Acceptd:
- a high quality video recording showing your performance of your chosen masterclass repertoire, accompanied, if applicable
- the name and contact information of a reference (typically your private violin instructor) who can attest to your readiness for a public masterclass
- a $30 nonrefundable application fee
- There are no registration or enrollment fees. Participation is free for those who are invited.